Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Summer Films

In honor of the summer...I present the best Summer films.  I really have not other introduction.  Go with it.



Top 3 Summer Films

(always in no particular order)
The Sandlot
The Sandlot.  I cant think of ANY other movie that epitomizes the thoughts of Summer.  This will also probably be in my top Coming of Age film category.  Character development in ensembles casts is tough, but you really get to know each of the kids in this film, and their personalities line up to make a strong cast.  Cameo by James Earl "Darth" Jones was good too.  Side Note: the song Green Onions also makes me think of Summer more than any other song.








Summer School
Summer School.  Mark Harmon at his best.  I learned a lot of new jokes and bad words when I first saw this.  This is not what I would refer to as quality film-making, but nonetheless, I love this movie.  How could you not love a movie with a character named Chainsaw.  Win.








Vacation
Vacation.  I wouldn't normally indicate this, but this would be my favorite of the three listed.  Chevy Chase is one of my favorite actors of all time and his comedic timing is really unmatched.  Its odd, but as I continue to grow up (dont we all), he reminds me of my dad.  Casey can probably attest to this better than anyone.  It could also be that whenever we did trips as a family when I was younger, I would think in my head...we are the Griswolds.  Every character that we meet in this movie on the family trek to Wally World make this film that much funnier.  Cousin Eddie?  Yeah...they could have done a movie just about him.










Next weeks Topic: Jack Nicholson Films

5 comments:

Steven L said...

I would put sandlot on my list... what a great movie, but this one is an easy for me, without having to mention the sandlot:

1) Dirty Dancing
2) Jaws
3) Independence Day - I know its a cheesy action film... but that is why I like it!

Honorable Mention - My Girl and Stand by Me.

Craig said...

1. Grease...no doubt about it 2. Jaws ...always a favorite 3. is much tougher..maybe Dirty Dancing , or Back to the Future

Craig said...

yeah and Steven is definitely right with Stand By Me...so many good ones to choose from ( for #3 )

nfc9rfan said...

Movies you had to wait every summer to watch. OK here goes.
1. (Jurassic Park) Had to wait every summer for the sequels.
2. (Superman) same as number one.
3. (Harry Potter) same as number one.
I am sure there are a lot more films that will come to mind as soon as I post this but I think these are my favorite.

Christopher said...

Steven, All of those are RIGHT on. My Girl and Stand by me are both acceptable...but I would also put those on the Coming of Age Films.

Aunt Craig, Grease. Duh. Totally missed that one.

Uncle Randy, interesting list. But a GREAT point. HP...last one.