Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Science Fiction Films

Okay...So I missed last week...its been hectic.  And then to top it off, when I went to post it this week, it deleted and I didnt feel like re-typing it.

This genre is actually quite broad if you analyze what would constitute a science fiction film.  Out of my selected movies, only one of them is a movie I actually watched on my own, and did not have to be talked into checking out.   All of my selections are movies that I could really just pick up anywhere and start watching.



Top 3 Science Fiction Films

(always in no particular order)
Starship Troopers
Starship Troopers.  The first time I saw this movie was at a "lock-in" over-nighter for Scouts.  One of the those movies that is so bad that it is good.  It does what any good movie does, it doesn't take itself too seriously...and that is why it is here.  This movie has gore, blood, guts, big guns, and bigguns.  To solidify its presence as a Top film....Doogie Howser is in it.  BTS:  Same director that directed Total Recall.







Star Wars
Star Wars.  Do I even need to talk about this film? Yes.  True Star Wars fans, would argue that this is not the best one.  And I agree, however, this was the FIRST one (see how I didn't refer to it as "A New Hope" or "Episode 4")  Star Wars was made before I was even born, and its story, special effects, and other technical elements make it great and paved the way for others.  Honestly though, can you imagine if this series began with Phantom Menace? "Yippeee!" 








Terminator 2:Judgement Day
Terminator 2. I didn't like the first Terminator when I first saw it.  After several visits, I still only thought it was lukewarm in terms of quality.  My best friend Jon actually got me to watch this film, against my wishes.  Directed by James "king of the world Cameron, its a money pit for production, but it worked.  The two scenes that still stand out: Nuclear Holocaust vision and when Sarah Connor first sees the Terminator as he exits the elevator.  So intense.








Honorable Mention:
Galaxy Quest
Galaxy Quest.  This movie could be put it so many different categories: Best Ensemble, Best Family Film, Best Use of Alan Rickman....  I am sure I will bring it up in future lists, but first and foremost, its a science fiction film and a fun one.  This film could be on my top 10 of all time. 





Next weeks Topic: Summer Films

5 comments:

Name said...

This topic is one very dear to me.

1. Starship Troopers. It was on my list for two weeks now, and I finally get to mention it, even if you mentioned it first. Oh well. I read the book also and it is one of the few that I like as much as the book (they're pretty different).

2. I ALSO had Star Wars on my list before I saw the post...I've seen Episode 4 the most times and I liked it the best of all of them.

3. Serenity. The movie that concluded the series "Firefly". Epic movie with a great cast (the same cast as "Firefly", go figure). I highly recommend it to everyone on the planet.

nfc9rfan said...

OK one of the first Science Fiction films that was actually amazing was
1. (2001 a Space Odyssey). You should at least see it once.
Next would be
2. (The Alien series). Very sexy Alien and very entertaining.
You just can't leave out
3. (The Star Trek series) It ranks right up there when it comes to Science Fiction.
As technology gets better so will Science Fiction.

nfc9rfan said...

Sorry had Alien mixed up with Species. But both very good Series :)

Steven L said...

Sci-fi is probably my hardest topic, as Sci-Fi/Fantasy are my favorite movies.... I love Starship Troopers, and T-2 is for sure my favorite of the series.... Well, here we go:

1) Star Wars/Star Trek - I like both of these series pretty equally, and that is a lot. I put them together so that I could have a little more on my list. They both defined large parts of my childhood, and most likely led me to LOVE Sci-fi in its entirety.

2) Inception - New movie yes, but wow was it amazing. I thought that it encapsulate almost everything that I love about sci-fi movies... Including a "plausible" (by plausible, I mean that they give a reason on how things can occur this way, and it doesnt sound entirely bogus) concept, an awesome cast, high energy driven action, sweet score, etc.

3) Back to the Future - Awesome!

Honorable mentions: Jurassic Park would probably be in my top 3, but for lists sake, I didnt include it... Blade Runner, District 9, The Matrix.

Animal Mother Williams said...

1. The Thing. Absolutely perfect. Timeless.

2. Star Wars. It's pretty much got everything you can love about a sci-fi movie.

3. Terminator 2: Judgment Day. The best of the Terminator series, and probably why the television show builds its plot after this sequel. It's clever and exciting, and has, by far, one of the greatest special effects in an action movie.

Boy, that was a tough decision. Honorable mentions: Serenity, the Alien series, and Back to the Future.