Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Alfred Hitchcock Films

I was going to save this topic for the very end of my blog (yes...I do have an end planned).  But I couldn't wait any longer.  Alfred Hitchcock.  My favorite director of all time.  Some of the best films ever made.  My Grandfather worked with Hitchcock and was even in the show Alfred Hitchcock Presents.  Very few of his films were scary.  Intense, thriller, mystery, suspense.  He also handpicked some of the best casts of all time.  I could probably do a 50 page dissertation on this, but in keeping with the spirit of this blog, I will refrain.


Top 3 Alfred Hitchcock Films

(always in no particular order)
North by Northwest
North by Northwest. So many places to start, but Cary Grant is the only logical place.  Besides THE man, his delivery of his lines is amazing.  He is such a badass in this film without having to be one.  Keeps his suit, his cool, and his dead-pan style of delivery.  Eva Marie Saint makes the best good/bad girl right next to Grant.  Add in the visit to Mount Rushmore, and the ever-famous assault by a crop-duster and you have a combination of mystery, suspense, and action rolled into a government secret agent thriller.  Honorable Mention goes to the theme music which solidifies the intensity of this film.






Rear Window
Rear Window.  If you can get past that the "guy from Its a Wonderful Life" (Jimmy Stewart) is the main character, you are able to focus on this murder mystery.  Because Stewarts character is wheelchair bound at the beginning of the film, almost the whole movie is shot from the indoors of his apartment, and his perspective of the apartment complex.  You actually get to know the other characters in the apartment, through the eyes of this professional photographer forced into a life of voyeurism due to an accident.  Apart from saying Murder Mystery, I dont want to give too much away.








Psycho
Psycho.  Standard film school movie,but its just SOOO good. Unfortunately though, so many people gauge his movies, by either this film or the Birds.  Both of which, I would consider scary films.  And THAT is why this film is third on my list.  Honestly though, I had a hard time on the third film, because there are so many that I would like to put.  If you are only going to watch one Hitchcock, watch North by Northwest, but if you watch more than one and dont mind scary movies, include Psycho in your list.  Back to this film, Anthony Perkins (as Norman Bates) is scary.  He is the heart of this film, and absolutely communicates his psychosis to the audience.  Its plot points have been spoofed and recreated in many areas of pop-culture, and you shall recognize them in the end.

Note: This video is worth watching all the way through.






Lifeboat (honorable mention)
Lifeboat is only getting an honorable mention, because it was the first (and only) Hitchcock film I was able to get Ashley to watch with me.  She doesn't like scary movies, and I am slowly getting her ready for the next round of films.  :-)  It was also written by John Steinback...BONUS

Next weeks Topic: Chick Flicks

12 comments:

Katrina said...

What? You have an END planned for your blog? I don't think I've ever heard of such a thing.

And I'm afraid I'm with Ashley: I hate scary movies! I have only seen bits and pieces of Psycho. I just can't go there. I'll never take another shower again, if I see the entire thing.

Ash said...

For the record, I HAVE seen psycho and that my friend is my basis for never wanting to watch a Hitchcock film again! I do admit it was a well done film.... And.. I did see it in film class in high school however to this day I have a terrible fear of showers and a whole lota other issues, to boot! Haha! And therefore I don't do well with Hitchcock!
However, I must admit I thoroughly enjoyed watching lifeboat! Great movie....... We'll see about my second and third! For now I'll stick with 1. Lifeboat

Christopher said...

HAHA Trina...its an end in the distant future. I have it laid out until 2012 though... :-) I need to start renting out North By Northwest to everyone.

Side Note...you guys posted it at almost the same exact time. scary. haha

Name said...

North by Northwest. There's a shirt with the biplane and a shadowy Cary Grant running from it. I want it.

Psycho. Blew away all my expectations.

Vertigo. Interesting plot, solid twist.


--> Rear Window just arrived from Netflix.

nfc9rfan said...

All I can say is Hitchcock was a genius. I think his movie ideas come from his drab sense of humor. He is an aqquired taste and if you were to study him I think you could easily get hooked. You have already named my favorites and they are:
1.Psycho, they even tried to do a remake but you can't fix perfection.
2.Vertigo, I really never had a fear of heights until one day it just happened. I don't know why but now I have a fear of heights and that makes this movie even more intense.
3.Rearwindow,Great flick and they did do another movie similar to this one but the name fails me right now.
Sorry about the spelling. I just got up and not quite up to par yet.
So that's it. Great subject matter.

Steven L said...

You have a pretty solid list. I remember my first semester of college, and my Film teacher was obsessed with Hitchcock. Almost ad nauseum... almost... I do remember watching Psycho for the first time and really enjoying it, but I was not scared of the shower scene... mostly I think because it was built up so much. Rear Window is a great film, perfect in every way, except that Jimmy Stewart was a poor casting decision... I might be in a minority here, but thats what opinions are for. But I LOVE North by Northwest. and I think it is one of the best films of all time.

1) North By Northwest - Duh! Winning!

2) Notorious - I am surprised this has not been mentioned. I am also surprised that it did not even make your honorable mention. Cary Grant and Ingrid Bergman were perfect in this film. Not to mention that I think this is Hitchcock at his best. The tracking shot of the ballroom is the quintessential mark of his brilliance with a camera. If someone were to ask me what what pure and polished Hitchcock is, I would tell them this movie.

I am going to get some weird responses to number 3... but I will explain

3) Mr. and Mrs. Smith - This was that film teacher's most talked about Hitchcock film. Mostly because she wanted to emphasize how He could direct any film, and make it great. Personally I found it to be a good comedy for its time. I think that Hitchcock had to dig deep to direct this one, and while the movie can be extremely cheesy, it really is pulled together well.

Honorable Mention:
Vertigo - I think Jimmy Stewart was well casted for this film. But the film it self is too deep. And After learning more and more about this film, and how it was Hitchcocks unedited psyche, it kind of gives me chills. He had mentioned at some point in time that the movie was a direct reflection of his own obsessions and fears. I can not watch this film over and over. That being said, I can not in good grace add it to my top list.

Christopher said...

Steven, the only other person I can see in the lead role of Rear Window is Henry Fonda. I thought Jimmy Stewart did it well...and Grace Kelly. Yummy.

As for Notorious, Fantastic film. CLASSIC film-making. Didnt crack the top 3 for me, but still fantastic. As for your number 3 pick. I need to re-watch it. haha

But I still but North by Northwest as the #1. Just no competition with anything else. Im going to burn about 10 copies of it and send it out to everyone! haha

Ave said...

My top three for now. . .1. The Trouble with Harry, I love dark comedies. 2. Rope, one take! 3. The Birds, it could happen! and the french poster for the movie is really cool. I saw Vertigo and Rear Window @ a theatre in NYC, I also spilled an ENORMOUS bucket of popcorn all over as I was trying to get to my seat. Have u seen the harrison ford, michelle pfiffer movie(cant remember the title)that references just about every Hitchcock film? It will make Ashley afraid of baths too.

Ian said...

I'm a big fan of Dial M for Murder. One of my favorite films. Not scary by any means which may be a disqualifying factor, but the suspense and the mystery completely make it an awesome movie. I'd probably put it above Rear Window. Also a great movie, but I prefer Psycho, N by NW, and Dial M.

Anonymous said...

This is an awesome list and I have to say I pretty much agree with it…Rear Window’s been one of my favorite movies since I was six years old. I love the shows he did too, and as a DISH customer/employee I can check them out free at DISHOnline. They have over 80 episodes of The Alfred Hitchcock Hour and over 150 of Alfred Hitchcock Presents. http://bit.ly/dJzWgo Check it!

Steven L said...

Wow Christopher! You have spammers!

Christopher said...

I know....ridiculous. I missed Tuesdays post because of the whole hospital/recovery thing. I am going to catch up this Tuesday.