Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Chick Flicks

First off, I need to apologize for not posting last week.  I was in the hospital for an evening, and then at home in bed for a week in major pain.  Not able to chew solid food, let alone type about movies.  This being a Film blog...I'll spare you the details on my issue.  I am doing better though.  Thanks for asking.  :-)

Chick Flick.  Although it does not have the most positive of connotations, it is still a designation that movies sometimes unofficially get.  I would not consider it a bad thing, just something to be aware of when you are picking out a film to watch.  Besides, if I really didn't like chick flicks, wouldn't I just eliminate that topic from here?


Top 3 Chick Flicks

(always in no particular order)
Notorious
Notorious. Steven made note of my last post that he was surprised that Notorious was not included.  It made me re-evaluate my choices for this week, and so here it is.  Wouldn't really be considered a chick-flick from the surface, but the emotion and romantic side of this film allows it to squeak through this category.  Once again Alfred Hitchcock kills it when it comes to film-making.  Cary Grant and Ingrid Bergman are ELECTRIC on the screen and watching their relationship develop is where the "chick" is.  Worth a watch.







Thelma and Louise
Thelma and Louise.  Really only disguised as a Chick Flick.  Two fugitive outlaws, caught up in something beyond their control, living on the edge, and risking it all...and they are women.  Sad that the only real chick-flick criteria here is that the protagonists are women.  Regardless, this film is great.  The character develop is progressive and includes enough history without calling attention to itself.  Alas, one of the best endings in a contemporary film in a long time.  Not quite what I expected, but was happy nonetheless with the way it panned out.







Ghost
Ghost.  Its funny, because at first glance, I am not really a fan of any of the actors in this film: Demi Moore, Whoopi Goldberg, Patrick Swayze (RIP).  Coping with life after death is always one of those tearful moments in a film, yet this film revolves around that premise.  The notion of life after death is well portrayed here, and the vindication aspect adds to the suspense of the story.  All that, and a scene that sparked a new interest in pottery around the country.  HAHA






Next weeks Topic: Animated Films

7 comments:

amy said...

Girls Just Want to Have Fun, Benny and Joon, and Riding in Cars With Boys. My fav 3 !!!

Steven L said...

Good call on Notorious... I would not have even thought of it as a chick flick... For some reason, I feel like the chick flick genre was created with Thelma & Louise. After reading that, I really needed to reevaluate my list as well....

1) An Affair to Remember - This concept has been seen in so many other places, and I am sure most kids now a days had no clue it started with this movie. 2 people who are engaged to others agree to meet on the Empire State Building 6 months later after they call off their engagements... but will they both be there? Classic Cary Grant movie...

2) The Notebook - A Very engaging film... if you have not seen it, you probably should.

3) What Women Want - Mel Gibson and Helen Hunt made this film very entertaining, and its a chick flick that I watch whenever I see it on.

Honorable Mentions:
Forget Paris, When Harry Met Sally, and Pretty Woman.

nfc9rfan said...

OK I'm not a chick, but when I'm dragged to go see a boring movie about love and romance these three come to mind.
1. The ultimate chick flick has got to be (Love Story)BORING.
2. Run Away Bride.
3. Legally Blonde. My Granddaughter's favorite.
I am so glad we are passed this one. OK let's get to the good stuff. Something with lot's of Action, Blood, and Guts. :)

Craig said...

This is a test to find out why I can't post on this site. If this works I'll repost. Thank you for your patience. :)

nfc9rfan said...

What is going on !!! I made a post and it was on here for about a day and now it's gone. What the Hell!!!

Christopher said...

I saw it Uncle Randy! I couldnt post anything either about it. (something happened to blogger.com) I know that you made mention that we should get this out of our system and move on. On that note...I think its important to look at EVERY type of film. Next week will be more fun!

Animal Mother Williams said...

1. Some Like It Hot - Too hilarious.

2. Sabrina - Besides the fact that Humphrey Bogart is way too old for Audrey Hepburn, Sabrina is hilarious and unique.

3. Legally Blonde - I can watch this over and over again.

Honorable mentions:
He's Just Not That Into You - Enjoyable cast and a very hilarious and somewhat realistic take on how women are convinced (by small actions) that guys like them.

Love Actually - I guess this movie makes me feel good.