Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Animated Feature Films


Animated Feature Films = Cartoon Movies.  I'm going to guess that most folks would go right to Disney Films when it comes to animated movies.  Since I already used that as a category, I tried to steer away from those choices.  After I made my selections, I thought it was weird that only ONE of these films was from my childhood.  The other two I saw as an adult.  This made me think of a quote that I used to refer back to when I was really into working in the film business "True family entertainment appeals to the most sophisticated as well as the least sophisticated member of the family"  The creator of the Simpsons, Matt Groening, said that.  Probably why The Simpsons is still on the air.  Too bad the movie sucked.


Top 3 Animated Feature Films

(always in no particular order)
Who Framed Roger Rabbit
Who Framed Roger Rabbit. This is a movie about cartoons.  Not just cartoons doing stuff, but really about Cartoons.  In the world of Animated characters, it would be considered an all-star cast.  Not exactly a fuzzy film with bunnies and deer running around, but a murder mystery thriller.  Live action mixed with animation, and Christopher Lloyd as a crazy man.  If Alfred Hitchcock had made a cartoon...this would be it.  On top of it all, I can still see/hear my little brother doing an impersonation of Roger Rabbit "P-P-P-P-P-P-P-P-LEASE EDDIE!!!".  Kills me every time.








The Incredibles
The Incredibles.  Its hard to write a lot about this movie, because there isn't a whole lot of film-making techniques or anything other than story to go off of.  This is one of those films that has a story that you get sucked into.  I like to hear "famous" actors doing voices for cartoons as well.  Samuel L. Jackson?  Outstanding.  A fun movie, and one that would validate a shot for a sequel.








Finding Nemo
Finding Nemo.  I first saw this with Hayley and Kelly.  Kelly saw the first 4 or 5 minutes of it and then passed out.  I can still remember Hayley doing the impressions throughout the film.  Once again...a heartwarming story.  If its on TV, I would end up sitting down and watching it.  "Mine, Mine, Mine, Mine"







Next weeks Topic: Natalie Portman Movies

7 comments:

amy said...

Charlotte's Web all the way, I love that one, and how about Shark Tale and Over the Hedge ? There's my top 3 !!!

nfc9rfan said...

Animated films have come a long, long way from when I was a kid. It's unbelievable what they can do these days. OK here are my three.
1. Probably the most watched is (Fantasia) one of Walt Disneys best works.
2. One of my favorites and comes close to making me cry is (Up)it is funny as well as sad. It makes you think about growing old.
3. All of the (Toy Stories). You can't talk about animation without mentioning them. Anyway those are my top 3. The list goes on and on especially these days when it seems like they come out with a new one every month, and they keep getting better and better.

Steven L said...

Firstly, What was your problem with the Simpson's Movie? I thought it was great! It was a 2 hour episode, that was not just a chance for them to cuss and show nudity (although they did do the nudity thing, but it was funny). Secondly, WFRR is also one of my favorites, but due to most of the movie being live action, I do not think of it as an animated feature film. Thirdly, I will avoid Pixar and Disney films for my answers, because they would clearly top my list. Basically, this list will start at number 15ish....

1) Akira - and Ninja Scroll were some of the first non-Disney animated films that I saw. It really drew me into the whole "Japanamation" and started my love for Manga as well. Not only that, they still have some of the best story lines from most movies.

2) Spirited Away - Continuing on the "Japanamation" sequence this and any film that Miyazaki made (Princess Mononoke, Little Nemo: Adventures in Slumberland, etc) were delightful in so many ways.

3) South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut - This movie had me cracking up more than anything back when I was in high school. It also had some very catchy songs, like "Blame Canada" "What would Brian Boitano Do" and "I'm Super."

Honorable Mentions: The Simpson's Movie, Shrek, Ghost in the Shell, and How to Train your Dragon.

Christopher said...

Fantasia. Totally missed that answer.

I cheated with Roger Rabbit, but I still would consider it animated since it was so much about animation. haha. And South Park was awesome, and crude, and crass, and funny to the last second. Those guys are awful, but they draw you in. I want to go see their new play about Mormons. Heard its amazing!

Side note...Oscar Nomination for Blame Canada. Who would have thought! hhaha

Casey said...

I will Agree with Steven on this one...you should put a NON DISNEY section. all my favorites include Sword in the stone, ALL pixar and Robin Hood. So i will stay away from that...except one...

1. The Incredibles- I just love this movie too much. I can ALWAYS watch it.

2. Spirited Away- The closest thing to Japanamation that I watched and the story was just amazing. Very strange at times and stunning at others.

3. How To Train Your Dragon- I was told it was great and it really was. It didn't have a cookie cutter plot or character dynamic like so many other cartoons. It was great story telling and held my interest even without jokes every 2 minutes.

Craig said...

way too many to choose from.. Up ...
all the Toy Stories.. and Finding Nemo will just have to do

Animal Mother Williams said...

1. Toy Story - Who doesn't love Toy Story? It's got a good story, lesson, humor, lovable characters....

2. Ratatouille - Fun from start to finish...and I love food.

3. Princess Mononoke - Chilling and amazing.

Honorable mentions: Spirited Away, How To Train Your Dragon, The Hunchback of Notre Dame, and Evangelion.