Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Steven Spielberg Films

In terms of Hollywood Icons...Steven Spielberg is one of them.  Although he has had his hands in just about EVERY major film for the last 20 years, for purposes of MY top 3, I am only using films that he directed.  You, the reader, can choose really any of his films...for whatever reason.  Little side note about Spielberg...when I was still a Boy Scout Youth, I achieved my Eagle Scout, and one of the congratulatory letters I received was from Spielberg.  For a teenager that was pursuing a career in the film industry, that was a prized possession.



Top 3 Steven Spielberg Films

(always in no particular order)
Raiders of the Lost Ark
Raiders of the Lost Ark.  It was really hard to pick just ONE of the Indiana Jones series.  I have always enjoyed all three of them (the fourth one doesnt count).  My final deciding criteria was that I can still remember that this movie really scared me as a kid.  Nightmare scaring.  Even now, when I watch it, I get that Heeby Jeeby feeling at certain scenes.







Hook
Hook.  Family Film-making at its finest.  Lets take an iconic story, adapt it from a different angle and cast Robin Williams as Peter Pan.  This film works on so many levels, but the real part that sets it apart is that Robin Williams doesn't have to act like a baffoon to be funny.  He gets to be a character without BEING a character.  Dustin Hoffman, Bob Hoskins, Maggie Smith, and Gwyneth Paltrow (yes...she was in it...briefly).  I'm not a huge fan of Julia Roberts, but she was in it too. One more side note, the two twin lost boys who are costumed as Boy Scouts...they are both firefighters for LA City now.  Crazy.







Minority Report
Minority Report.  I know I am going to get crucified on this selection, but thats okay.  I love this movie.  Weird. Edgy. Weird.  Spielberg ventured out past what I consider his standard formula.  Not his typical style, and that is what makes it so much fun.  One of my favorite scenes is when Tom Cruise turns on the Schuberts Unfinished Symphony and starts looking for the murderer.  Like a ballet.







Honorable Mention:
E.T. & Goonies
E.T. was the first film that I recall ever watching.  I saw it with my parents at the drive-in over at Winnetka. (Where the current Winnetka Stadium 21 exists).  Spielberg also was responsible for the story behind the Goonies, which is on many of my top lists.


Next weeks Topic: Gangster Movies (interpret it however you wish)

8 comments:

Name said...

1. Catch Me If You Can:

This is the one that I forgot at the meeting. Leo DiCaprio and Tom Hanks and Christopher Walken. On top of that a crazy story about a genius kid with some real meaning behind it.

2. A.I.:

This was also in my "Top 3 Movies that Made You Cry" list. Excellent acting, great story and killer ending made this movie way above par.

3. Saving Private Ryan:

One of my favorite War Movies, and another Tom Hanks one as well. Don't really need to describe it.

amy said...

Jurassic Park, Poltergeist, and just to give a farewell shout out, The Color Purple

nfc9rfan said...

Oh yeah my favorite director. Two of my favorite directors Spielberg,and Howard. This is my list for favorite Spielberg films:
1. (Jaws)probably my favorite.
2. (Close Encounters) 2nd favorite.
3. (1941) Probably his funniest.
This list goes on and on but these are my 3.

Ian said...

Can I get a shout-out for Schindler's List? My favorite EASILY!

Christopher said...

I knew this would be a controversial one. It was hard for me to narrow it down. Saving Private Ryan, Jurassic Park, Jaws, Schindlers. Good items...a Ron Howard List might have to be included in a future blog.

Steven L said...

I see no problem with your list there Christopher... in fact Minority report really is one of my favorites of Steven Spielberg's directed movies. This is an easy topic for me though...

1) Jurassic Park - I love Dinosaurs... I loved the book... I love concepts that are so crazy that they might just work... I love new technology... and I love movies with awesome scores.... Jurassic Park was all of this. With Spielberg at the helm of this blockbuster, it really soared. I remember my mother pulling me out of school to see this movie because I wanted to see it so bad... I also remember a much younger kid than me eating popcorn behind me and constantly coughing/sneezing it all on my throughout the movie...


2) Empire of the Sun - One of the best made movies of all time in my opinion.

3) Three would either be Minority Report or The Last Crusade. Since you mentioned Minority Report, I will go with The Last Crusade (and it should have really been the last...) Spielberg had mentioned that Raiders of the Lost Ark was actually directed by George Lucas, but could not have his name on it due to the director's guild taking away his card. Otherwise, I would agree with you on Raiders... There was something about the Last Crusades final scene with the grail that really enchanted me though.

Craig said...

better late than never, right ...1. Jaws 2. E.T. 3. Indiana Jones everything .... i'm real late i know but i do have an opinion

Jarnell Williams. said...

1. Saving Private Ryan. This is one of my favorite movies of all time. It's beautifully filmed and brilliantly executed. Awesome actors, too.

2. A.I. Oh, man. I loved this movie when I was a kid. It got me into Spielberg films, believe it or not. I thought it was genius.

3. Jurassic Park. I also love dinosaurs, and I loved the book.

Honorable mentions: Schindler's List, Raiders of the Lost Ark, Jaws, and Minority Report. I've seen more, but those were probably my favorite. Can't wait to see The Adventures of Tintin!